This recipe requires a little extra prep time so it is perfect for a Sunday. You can enjoy it Sunday night and then have extra servings for the week!
I used dry mung beans, which are rich in fiber, protein, iron, and antioxidants!
This one pot meal (made in an Instapot or pressure cooker) is an easy, hearty and satisfying meal. I hope you try it and enjoy it. The spices can be found at any grocery store.
Servings: Makes 7 (7 cups)
2 cups WHOLE dry mung beans- soaked in water for 3-4 hours
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp grated ginger (if using fresh, 1x2" piece)
2 tbsp minced garlic (if using fresh, 3 cloves)
Organic roma tomato 2 whole pureed. (If using canned, crushed tomatoes- 3/4 cup)
Frozen spinach 1 cup
Cumin seeds, 1.5 tsp
Coriander powder, 2 tsp
Turmeric powder, 1.5 tsp
Sea salt, fine 2 tsp
Garam masala 0.5 tsp
Water 5.5 cups
1) Set Instapot on sauté mode, less setting. Add the oil let it heat.
2) Add cumin seeds and cook until sizzling and slightly brown.
3) Add the ginger and garlic, stir, cook for one minute.
4) Add the tomato puree.
5) Add the coriander powder and turmeric
6) Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7) Add the beans after draining off the soaking water.
8) Add the frozen spinach.
9) Add 4 cups water and set Instapot for high pressure for 25 minutes.
10) After the 25 minutes, allow pressure to natural release.
11) Open the Instapot and add 1.5 cups warm water (can warm in a kettle).
12) Add garam masala.
12) Optional: garnish with chopped cilantro, Serrano peppers and 2 tablespoons of plain greek yogurt.
Calories per serving: 284
Fat 7 g
Net carbohydrates (Total carbs - fiber): 30 g
Fiber: 10 g
Protein 15 g